Preventive Dental Care
From routine cleanings to nutritional education, there are so many ways to keep your child’s smile shining bright. At Milestone Kids Dentistry, we teach children to develop healthy habits that will last a lifetime. Schedule your appointment now!
What is Preventative Care?
Keeping a healthy and bright smile requires regular care. That’s why we do everything possible for your kiddo’s teeth. And as they grow bigger and stronger, the lessons they learn at Milestone Kids Dentistry will help them enjoy a lifetime of happy smiles.
Our experts walk you through preventive care strategies and teach your child an A+ dental routine. We don’t believe in judging our patients or you. Instead, we collaborate to find a cleaning routine that works for everybody’s needs.
No matter what your kiddo needs — from stopping sugar bugs to nutritional education — our dental experts are standing by to guide their journey. We promise to help care for your loved ones the way we care for our own. Schedule an appointment now.
Benefits of Preventive Dental Care
Regular tooth appointments for counting and tickling teeth (exams and cleanings) can help your child lower their risk of developing sugar bugs (cavities). Taking basic precautionary steps like wearing mouthguards while playing sports can help you avoid costly emergency appointments.
Other benefits include:
- Allowing children’s teeth to come in healthy and strong
- Blocking tooth decay with sealants and fluoride treatments
- Early identification and intervention of emerging problems
- Preserving the integrity of your child’s gums, teeth, jaw, and face.
Preventive Dental Treatment and Services
Your child can start their preventive care journey as soon as their first tooth erupts. At Milestone Kids Dentistry, we are proud to offer these services to help your little buddy on the road to good dental habits:
Dental Cleanings and Exams
Regular counting and tickling appointments (cleanings and exams) can help make sure your child gets that extra special attention they need. They also provide the chance to examine their mouth and inform you of any concerning areas.
X-rays and Diagnostics
Diagnostic technologies like X-rays are useful tools to check in on developing teeth. Screenings help understand your child’s needs, find sugar bugs (cavities), or predict vulnerable spots in their smile. These tools can even be used to help create your child’s custom treatment plan.
Dental sealants can help protect tooth decay in the hard-to-reach areas of your child’s back teeth. The sealant acts as a safeguard against plaque and can keep bacteria from developing sugar bugs (cavities) on their teeth. Your child can start enjoying sealants as soon as their first molars emerge.
Fluoride helps rebuild tooth enamel and reverse early tooth decay. It can even help strengthen the enamel and teeth, which makes it harder to develop sugar bugs. Fluoride treatments help teeth remineralize and absorb essential substances.
Steps for At-Home Preventive Dental Care
Getting a healthy and bright smile starts at home. While your child follows their daily dental care plan, we help them achieve a lifetime of wellness.
No matter how old your little one is, they are ready to become a champion brusher. Here are some steps to help them get to the winner’s circle:
- Have your kiddo clean their teeth at least twice a day. Brush in the morning and evening with toothpaste and a soft-bristled brush. Remember: depending on your kid’s age, they may have toothpaste amount needs.
- Floss daily to prevent trapped food particles from turning into sugar bugs (cavities). Keep in mind that flossing doesn’t need to be in your child’s routine until they have two teeth that touch.
- After flossing, using mouthwash can help to clear away food particles. However, children below the age of six don’t need to include mouthwash in their routine yet.
- It’s normal for children to be old enough for mouthwash but not yet ready for it. Only use mouthwash if your child can easily swish mouthwash without accidentally swallowing it.
- Avoid certain foods that can damage or chip teeth. Examples include acidic, hard, sugary food with bones, seeds, or pits.
- Encourage your child to wear a mouthguard while participating in certain sports.
Depending on your child’s age, you may need to follow some extra precautions.
Extra Preventative Care Steps for 0-3 Year Olds
Littles who are between 0-3 years old need a smaller amount of toothpaste. A teensy drop of toothpaste the size of a grain of rice will be sufficient for 0-3 year olds. This small dose will help keep your infant from swallowing an excessive amount of toothpaste. Use fluoride toothpaste with the American Dental Association’s (ADA) seal of acceptance.
Extra Preventative Care Steps for 3-6 Year Olds
Around three years old, your child can start using a pea-sized amount of toothpaste. Children around the age of 2 may be ready to spit out their own toothpaste. If your child isn’t ready for that yet, do not worry! They will be eventually. Until then, continue using a rice-sized portion of toothpaste.
Outstanding Kids Dental Care Near You
Milestone Kids Dentistry specializes in helping children of all ages enjoy preventive dental treatments. We work with patients and their parents to develop a winning game plan for their child’s success. We would love to help your child get the benefits of a healthy smile.
Whether your child is an infant or getting ready to graduate high school — we are here for every step of their smile journey. Schedule your initial appointment with the experts at Milestone Kids Dentistry now! You can also call or text us if that is more convenient for your schedule. We hope to see you soon!