Dental sealants protect hard-to-reach areas from developing sugar bugs (cavities). Additionally, dental sealants on baby teeth — or mature teeth — can help keep your little one smiling big.
Schedule an appointment now to learn more about sealants for kids!
What Are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants can protect vulnerable areas in your child’s smile. Even the most disciplined brusher can miss certain regions like the back teeth. These areas often have grooves that make getting a consistent cleaning difficult. The use of dental sealants on uneven chewing surfaces helps safeguard these tricky areas.
A dental sealant is a protective coating. This coating is an invisible barrier that is painted on your child’s teeth. Dental sealants dry within seconds of application. Schedule an appointment now to learn more about sealants for kids.
Benefits Of Dental Sealants For Kids
There are many benefits to dental sealants for children. By limiting bacterial exposure, dental sealants keep crevices from opening up in the teeth. Plus, parents will love knowing that dental sealants can help cut down costs in the long run.
Using dental sealants can keep sugar bugs at bay and make brushing more effective. Some of the benefits of sealants for kids include:
- Immediate protection that lasts 3-5 years
- A transparent color that allows for discrete wear
- Easy and tear-free application
How Are Dental Sealants Applied?
Applying dental sealants is a fast and worry-free procedure. The good news is that sealing teeth to prevent cavities doesn’t require drilling or numbing.
During the application:
- A pediatric expert will gently clean the application area.
- Next, they will dry the teeth and block any moisture from the application site.
- Then they will apply the etching solution to the tooth surface. This cleans and preps the tooth for the best possible sealant bond.
- The etching solution is rinsed off, and the teeth are dried again.
- The tooth is ready for the technician to place a thin bonding layer with sealant on the tooth. The technician works quickly to cover the entire enamel.
- A blue LED light is used to help cure and set the sealant in place. This creates a rigid and lasting bond to the tooth surface.
All in all, it only takes about a minute to seal a tooth. As soon as your kiddo has completed treatment, they will be able to eat, drink and return to their usual daily routine.
How Long Does The Sealant Last?
Well-maintained sealants can last anywhere from 4-10 years. But with constant chewing forces and all of the other rigorous use, sealants can’t always provide reliable coverage beyond the 2-4 year threshold. A cracked sealant can allow decaying food debris to get trapped underneath the sealant. If left untreated, a cracked sealant can risk inflicting tooth damage.
Many parents are relieved to find out that their dentist can quickly repair damaged or cracked sealants. Having regular check-ups will help to see if your child’s sealant is still intact. If they need a little touch-up, then we can make a quick appointment to recondition their sealant.
Protect Your Child’s Teeth With Dental Sealants In Snohomish, WA
At Milestone Kids Dentistry, we work with parents to help find the best methods for helping their kiddo. Whether that means preventative dental care, behavior management, nutrition education — or anything else — you can be confident that you’re getting the best treatment available from a nationally recognized board-certified professional.
Milestone Kids Dentistry has helped kiddos all around the community enjoy a healthy smile. Contact us now to learn more about the benefits of dental sealants.